HAVC's Filming in Croatia Department receives many enquiries about filming in Croatia and we have compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions arranged by subject.

Q: I’m interested in shooting my film in Croatia. In what way can the Croatian Audiovisual Centre help me to make an informed decision about whether to shoot in Croatia?

A: We can help you by putting you in touch with local service production companies with extensive track records, providing you with the basic information about the film production legal framework in the country, as well as putting the production and facilities directories at your disposal.

Q: Are there any incentives currently available for filming in Croatia?

A: Croatia introduced a Cash Rebate for film and television productions made in Croatia as of January 2012. The Rebate applies to Feature Films, Documentaries, Short Films, Television Drama and Animation. Projects can derive a benefit of 25% of their qualifying expenditure (30% if filming in regions with below average development).

Q: I’ve decided to shoot my film in Croatia. Do I need official Government permission to shoot in Croatia?

A: No official permission is required for feature film shoots or any other type of production other than the normal requirement for permission from the owner or the authority responsible for the location in question. But we strongly advise you to have a local production company attached if you are planning to shoot in Croatia.

However, you are required to register your production with the Croatian Audiovisual Centre (HAVC), by filling out the standardized filming registration form that can be downloaded from our website.

Q: Are the working permits for foreign nationals filming in Croatia necessary, and if so, how can they be obtained?

A: Foreign nationals filming in Croatia on a temporary basis do not require a working permit. However, they must register with the local police authority - the paperwork is usually sorted out by the local service provider. Foreign nationals staying in hotels or other type of accommodation are automatically registered by the hotelier or the Croatian partner / service provider / co-producer.

Foreign citizens intending to stay in Croatia for longer than 90 days must apply for a temporary residence permit and should contact the Croatian Ministry of Interior no later than 30 days prior to expiration of their 90 days stay.

HAVC can put you in touch with Croatian partners who can assist you with obtaining all the necessary paperwork for a foreign crew member.

For further information on how to regulate the legal status of foreign citizens in Croatia, please contact your local Croatian embassy. For list of Croatian embassies / consulates worldwide see Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Q: Can I certify my film as a Croatian film?

A: You can certify your film as a Croatian film in three ways:

  1. under provisions of the Article 3 of the Croatian Law on Audiovisual activities (available in Croatian);
  2. under the provisions of the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production (ECCC); or
  3. under the provisions of Croatian bilateral treaties in vigour (see: Co-Production Funding).

Q: What is the procedure for obtaining a Certificate of Origin?

A: The Certification Unit of the Croatian Audiovisual Centre issues certificates of origin. You need to write an application letter to us, detailing under which provisions you are applying for the certificate and enclosing a detailed list of all the artistic, technical and financial elements to support your claim. You need to apply for the certificate at least four weeks prior to the start of principal photography. We’ll process your application in due course.

For further information, please contact: [email protected]

Q: What are the benefits of certifying my film as a Croatian film?

A: By certifying your film as a Croatian film, you are eligible for public support in Croatia through our Co-production Funding Scheme. You must bear in mind that the Co-production Funding scheme is a selective scheme, run on the basis of a public call of applications and that all applications are assessed solely on their artistic merit by appointed Artistic Consultants.

For more details consult the HAVC's funding section.  

Filming in Croatia is a programme of the Croatian Audiovisual Centre