Financial incentive for Film and TV productions shooting in Croatia is available to international and local filmmakers in the form of a rebate of 25% on qualifying Croatian spending. An additional 5% is approved for productions filming in regions with below average development. The variety of filming locations, combined with high-quality local service providers and financial feasibility make Croatia one of the top destinations on the world’s filmmaking map.
Croatian Incentive Programme is based on the Law on Audiovisual Activities (Official Gazette 61/18) and the Rules and Regulations (Official Gazette 70/19).
The Incentive Programme is administered on a first-come, first-served basis. The rebate is calculated on the total qualifying expenditure, excluding the value added tax, and is paid directly to the applicant’s Croatian bank account. Qualified spend consists of the costs of goods and services purchased in Croatia and wages paid to Croatian tax residents (both cast and crew) for services carried out in Croatia. Qualifying production formats:
- Feature film
- TV films and TV series
The Rebate does not apply to commercials, reality TV, game shows and soaps.
Criteria to access the benefit
Minimum Croatian spend dependent on the type of project
- HRK 2 million (EUR 266,000) for feature films
- HRK 300,000 (EUR 40,000) for documentaries
- HRK 500,000 (EUR 66,000) for animation films
- HRK 1 million (EUR 133,000) for television films
- HRK 750,000 (EUR 99,000) for each tv episode
- HRK 450,000 (EUR 60,000) for one episode of documentary tv series
- HRK 500,000 (EUR 66,000) for an animated tv series with a minimum total duration of 24 minutes
Currency converted according to the exchange rate EUR 1 = HRK 7.5
Use of Croatian cast and crew
The benefits are based on the work cost of Croatian tax residents (cast and crew) working in Croatia, as well as the goods and services purchased in Croatia.
The Croatian Cultural/Qualifying test (for service production and co-production) comprises three categories: cultural content, creative collaboration, and the use of Croatian production capacities, such as studios or locations. No preference is given to projects scoring higher on the Cultural Test.
Productions benefiting from more than HRK 5 million (approximately EUR 666,000), have to employ at least one Croatian trainee in each of the main production departments.
Evaluating the Application
The Incentive Committee, comprising five members appointed by the Minister of Culture, meets at least once every three months.
Members of the Incentive Committee are:
- Ministry of Culture representative
- Two representatives of the Croatian Producers Association
- Ministry of Finance representative
- Croatian Audiovisual Centre representative
The net benefit will be made available upon completion of production, submission of audited accounts and evidence that all the requirements have been met.
A hardcopy of the Application, along with a copy of the documents in electronic format, must be submitted to the HAVC no later than 8 days prior to the start of production in Croatia.
The Application and all its pertaining documents must be submitted in Croatian.
Application forms with Local production budget, Qualification test and Statutory declaration are available for download (only in Croatian):
SERVICE PRODUCTIONS application forms
CO-PRODUCTIONS application forms
- Tax Clearance Certificate (issued by the Department of Revenue, the certificate must verify that the entity satisfied all tax obligations due to the State, including taxes, interest, penalties, fees, charges and any other liabilities)
- Certificate of Incorporation (issued by the Commercial Registry Office)
- Proof of the public screening of a work produced by applicant within the last 3 years (in the event that the company lacks such credits, the company’s founder or Director must have produced such a work)
- A screenplay and synopsis of the work
- Overall Production Budget (for local productions or co-productions, and international co-productions with a Croatian co-producer: a preliminary, detailed overall production budget; for international productions with a local production service provider: the overall production budget amount)
- Proof of security of financing for 70% of the Project’s production costs in Croatia (copies of contracts, preliminary contracts, letters of intent or commitment stating the exact amount)
- Preliminary Contract or a Service Level Agreement